Bangor Ballet seeks an Artistic Director for our regionally recognized pre-professional company, now in its 23rd year.
The Artistic Director is responsible for providing an artistic vision that furthers the education of Company members and enlarges the cultural experience for the community at large.
We are seeking a teaching artist with a minimum of five years’ professional experience with a national or regional ballet company. S/he should have a deep commitment to developing the technical and performance skills and positive outlook of talented youth.
The Artistic Director is an independent contractor with compensation to be determined on an annual basis. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have the desire and qualifications to become the principal ballet instructor at Thomas School of Dance, the official training school for Bangor Ballet. (For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Artistic Director of Bangor Ballet will:
· Program, rehearse and bring to fruition 2-3 productions each season.
· Choreograph new works, reprise ballets from the repertoire, stage traditional choreography, and/or select guest choreographers, as appropriate.
· Meet regularly with the Executive Director to establish programming, determine production budgets and advise on compensation for guest performers, choreographers and assistants.
· Work with members of the production team to enable them to execute their artistic vision to the best of their ability (photography, lighting, costume, set design, music, etc.).
· Oversee the work of all guest choreographers and rehearsal assistants in order to maintain quality of performance.
Schedule and hold auditions for upcoming productions as needed. Make decisions on casting and understudy positions.
· Schedule and run rehearsals and see that dancers are informed of rehearsal schedules in a timely fashion.
Act as a representative of Bangor Ballet at public events and advocate for the Arts in the Bangor area.
Work with the Executive Director and the Board on development projects, as requested.
To apply, please send
1. A cover letter, including your interest in the position and the date you are available to start;
2. An educational and professional resume including performance, teaching, and other relevant experience (choreography, costuming, stage management, etc.).
3. Names and contact information of three professional references.
4. Links (if available) to videos that demonstrate your classroom teaching, rehearsing, and/or choreography.
Please address correspondence to:
Bangor Ballet/ 14 State St/ Bangor, ME 04401 or email: email@example.com